Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
Creamy Chicken and Rice is such an easy casserole to assemble and walk away while the oven does the rest. The chicken, rice, and seasonings all bake together to make a comforting and creamy casserole.
• CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE •
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole begins with a layer of uncooked rice, sautéed celery, and dried minced onions. Then you lay your chicken on top and sprinkle with seasons. Finally, you spoon your creams soups over the chicken randomly and follow up with 32 oz of chicken broth poured over the entire pan. I was skeptical that this recipe would work with that much liquid. But I was wrong, the rice and chicken absorb all the liquid, making for tender chicken and creamy rice.
It doesn’t look all that pretty when it comes out of the oven. But it tastes so delicious and comforting. Next time I’m going to try cutting up the pieces of chicken in the casserole first, instead of large breast pieces. To serve, I took the chicken off and sliced it, then served it over the yummy rice and gravy.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups celery diced
- 1 c. mushrooms sliced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 cup uncooked rice short grain white
- 2 Tbsp. dehydrated onion
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1/2 tsp. course ground black pepper
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 2 cans condensed cream soup (celery, mushroom or chicken)
- 1 box (32 oz) chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add butter, water, celery, mushrooms and salt to a large frying pan and cook over medium high 3 minutes until starting to soften. If excess liquid remains, discard it.
- Spread the rice in the bottom of a rectangular 9”x13” casserole dish. Scatter the cooked veggies and the dehydrated onion over this.
- Place the chicken on the rice and veggies, evenly spaced.
- Sprinkle celery salt, pepper and onion soup mix over that.
- Open cans of cream soup and scoop dollops of if unto and around the chicken until it is pretty much evenly spread out in lumps. No need to smooth out.
- Pour the broth over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes until rice is tender and chicken has reached 160 F with an internal thermometer. I check the dish after 45 minutes and then at an hour.